Thursday, November 20, 2008

The 'fatty' on Porter...


First of all, I am so overwhelmed by all of you! When I read every one's sweet comments I just started crying... thank you. You brought sunshine to our family at a gloomy time... you'll never know what that means to me. Thank you for your concern, your prayers and your love... from the bottom of my heart... THANK YOU!


So we went to the doctor today to find out exactly what the CT scan said. He told us that the tumor is less than 2 centimeters (seems a lot bigger to a mom, I guess.) and is filled with FAT. YES, THE F WORD...FAT! He told us that these kinds of tumors happen sometimes in kids because their sculls are not fused together... so their brains and whatever can grow... and sometimes lumps occur on these plate lines. That is probably what we have here. Yes, it IS a TUMOR... no, it's NOT cancer. (PHEW!!)

He told us we have a choice to make... we can go find a pediatric surgeon and get the bump removed. OR we could watch it to see if it starts to bug Porter, or if it grows or anything. If we had Porter go to surgery, it IS possible that a nerve or a muscle could be snipped or damaged, BUT the bump would be gone and out of our lives forever. If we just watch it... maybe nothing would ever happen and Porter would have a little (unnoticeable) bump for forever.


Kind of a tough call. We don't have to make our minds up today... surgery is a big ordeal, especially right before Christmas. So, Spence and I have decided to watch it and go back to the doctor in 2 months to see if it's different at all. The doctor said he was more than comfortable with that. After all, in the words of Dr. Bowman, "Just because there's a bump, it doesn't mean it has to be removed." We'll just wait and see.

Cool. Now we can make up names... not too mean, please... for our little lumpy monkey.

Thank you again, dear friends. We sure love and appreciate you!!

16 comments:

Jana said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so happy.

Kristy said...

Pheww..Good news! My hub get fatty bumps on his head all the time that he has to get cut out.I wonder if they are the same kind. As far as nick names go I call him a FatHead. That's probably on the mean side since I usually use that one when I'm ticked at him too.... we'll just have to think of a better one for Porter :)

Anonymous said...

wow ally....I'm overwhelmed with just thinking about the ordeal you've been through. i'm so glad that sweet little Porter is okay. Love to you and yours!

Lisa said...

What great news. I am so glad everything is ok. We love you!

Jessica Potter said...

Such great news. Prayers work! I am glad he is okay!

Mandy said...

I know! Just tell him his brain is bigger than most kids' and it spills over a little by his eye. He'll, of course, be smarter than most!

Lilian said...

Oh YAY!!! I've been wondering about this today and figured I'd talk to you about it later! I'm so glad to know it's nothing serious. My boys will be so happy to know their little buddy is okay and all is well!

sarahhicken said...

Such great news!!

Dirk Handlebar said...

Sounds like a face-front-butt. That's the rarest and best kind.

I also have a fatty tumor, but mine's in my belly. It's much bigger than 2 cm.

Meg said...

I just checked your blog, I am so sorry that Porter had to go through that. He'll be okay. You guys are great parents. Waiting is totally fine and it might not grow more then it is. I hope everything else is okay. If you need anything please call us.

Brook said...

So happy! Yeah! When Caden was born he had a skin tag on his ear, we watched "Friends" a lot so we called it his nubbin'. I miss that little, I mean big, nubbin. Used to kiss it all the time.

Michelle Woj said...

Good to hear it's not causing too much trouble. Poor kiddo!

Melanie said...

Holy crap! I really need to read your blog more often. I am so glad Porter is ok. He is adorable by the way. Let me know if you need anything.

Miss you.
melanie

codenamesquid said...

Allison,
Just stopped by to check to see how things were - what an ordeal! So glad that things turned out the way they did. Hoorah! Don't see you all as much as we wish, but try to keep up as best as we can. Love ya! Heather

Glass House said...

I am glad everything is okay! A thought: maybe if you wait it out a bit, then you would have less chances of interfering with his growth than if you were to remove it now? I don't know, that's just the first thought that came to me, is it even noticeable? I am so glad that it's not cancerous!!!!

Heather said...

I've fallen behind in the blog world and thought I'd do some catch up on the lives of my friends. I had no idea this was going on with Porter. I am so glad that the tumor isn't as serious as it could have been.

I always love your blog - the funny comments your children say - always make me laugh. Go Porter and Jack!